Do you feel like the more that you evolve spiritually, the more that your body struggles with weight gain, autoimmune diseases, or other chronic conditions?
It’s not your imagination – there’s a valid reason for this that I don’t think anyone has really pinpointed until now.
When I write these articles, some are information that I’ve mastered and can recite in my sleep (as the cliché goes). Others I write because I’m in the middle of working through something that you might also be in the middle of, and if I share what I’m learning then maybe it’ll help you too. This article is that second type.
This year has guided me to take an honest look at my relationship with my physical body.
I would love to have a body that is lean and lithe, able to take long hikes and kick some ass in a gym or dance floor, but to be honest, those images don’t motivate me to make any changes.
What does motivate me, however, is the question of whether my physical body can support all the things I’m trying to do mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Earlier this year I got a nudge from Spirit that my yo-yoing commitment to healthy nutrition and physical activity might be holding me back spiritually, and I was like, “Oh, HELL no!” That got my butt in gear, literally and figuratively, LOL.
And let’s be honest, if you look at any current picture of me, you can see that I have not mastered these basics. What you can’t see in the photos is how far I’ve come, and how much healthier I am on the inside, even if the fat hasn’t magically melted away.
In fact, deciding in May to have new pictures taken was a part of this journey: Before I could be ready to support my body (so it could support me), I had to get past any shame I felt about how my body looks, including those secret thoughts of “people won’t think I’m a qualified healer because I’m fat.”
Do you know a lot of overweight lightworkers? I do. Of course, I’m likely to notice them because they’re like me – that’s how the human mind works.
As I now understand, the inflammation and excess fat we carry are physical manifestations from years of accessing high frequencies during our spiritual practices, client sessions, and other moments of channeling Spirit without adequately supporting our bodies’ needs.
It’s not something that more spiritual energy or more healing can help with. In fact, to do those things without making changes on the physical level can create more of a problem.
I never heard about that in an energy healing class. Did you? No one teaches us about this need, which is why I’m writing this article.
If Your Cells Can’t Support the Frequency, You Won’t Be Able to Maintain It
Here’s a key point you need to hear: If the cells of your body can’t support the frequency you’re trying to access, then you won’t be able to stay aligned with it.
Think of it the way your muscles work with physical activity: You’ve got whatever your normal level of activity is that your body is accustomed to. If you do something that requires extra physical exertion, like an extended hike or helping your friend move, your muscles will step up to the task in the moment – but afterward, you’ll feel sore AF, and depending on 1) how far from the norm that level of exertion was and 2) how well you support your recovery, it might take days for you to feel good again.
Spiritual exertion works the same way. I can remember a conversation with someone who stopped into my retail space when I had one, who haughtily informed me, “I’ve achieved 6th- and 7th-dimensional consciousness” – but it was clear she hadn’t stayed there, because the personality in front of me was clearly giving me 3D attitude throughout our entire conversation.
You can achieve a super-high vibration in any given moment, perhaps accessing 6th, 7th, or higher dimensions. In that moment, because you’re so focused on that intention, your body will align with your intention and do what’s necessary to support you. But afterward, when your focus dissolves, your body will reset to its much lower default setpoint.
Your body also needs to replenish the resources that were used during the spiritual experience, including minerals, protein, and water. The more that you exhausted those resources by being in that high vibration, the more time your body will require to recover. (Did you even know that spiritual activities deplete physical resources in your body just like physical activities do? I had to discover that for myself.)
For lightworkers like me whose bodies hold patterns of trauma, the yo-yo between high spiritual energy and our very low physical setpoint is even more extreme and more frustrating. In fact, the constant yo-yoing and the negative impact on our bodies from depletion of resources might feel so unsafe that our instincts scare us away from repeating those high spiritual experiences.
This happened to me for years with my professional healing work. On client days and days when I channeled information to run my business, I knew that I needed to eat and drink enough to keep myself going, and I expected and accepted my need to crash at the end of those days, but I didn’t fully understand why.
What finally opened my mind to the cause and effect was my experience as a mystery school student. For six years I’ve been learning rituals that are proven to align a person with Christ Consciousness but experiencing SO MUCH resistance to doing them regularly. I was full of justifications why I didn’t need to “do temple” because I already had plenty of spiritual tools that I used – even some I’d created!
… But then, why was I in the mystery school if I wasn’t going to follow what it was teaching me, right?
Finally, something got me to let down my resistance enough to see what was going on: Those rituals worked 100%. I would do my rituals for a day or two, achieve those high vibrations (which are ultra-high since I’ve already healed my Core Wound), and feel completely integrated and aligned with Spirit. But soon afterward my body would say, “That’s enough!” and not only bring me back down to its default setpoint but fill my mind with excuses why I shouldn’t try to do that again.
Once I saw the reason for the pattern – that it was all about the cells of my body not being ready – the rest of my resistance dropped and I started to receive more information about how to help my cells be ready.
Here’s what I’ve learned and/or reinforced so far that I believe all us lightworkers need to live by – especially for bodies that currently have something to heal, whether the issue is being overweight, having an autoimmune condition, or some other chronic issue that stubbornly resists medical treatment.
How to Support Your Cells in Supporting You
These are the daily habits that I believe are necessary to support your cells so that you can embody high frequency energy when you want and stay there as long as you want.* Several of them are based on the theory that spiritual energy behaves much like physical energy (e.g., electricity) and so the needs are similar:
- Drink plenty of water so that your cells are fluid enough to adapt easily to changes and because water is a natural conductor of energy. Standard medical guidance in the U.S. says 8 8-oz servings of water per day is optimal; personally, I double that goal to ~4 liters and have reminders set up on my phone to prompt me.
- Consume adequate protein so that your cells have all the amino acids they need to build and repair themselves. I learned from Dr. Beth Westie that 125-135g of protein per day – an amount much higher than most people, especially women, consume in the U.S. – is an effective target.
- Consume adequate vegetables and other sources of alkaline minerals (electrolytes). There are a lot of good reasons to consume alkaline foods; the one you might not know about is alkaline = earth (dirt) = grounding, meaning it helps to ground spiritual energy into your body just as electricity can be grounded into the dirt. The reason these minerals are called “electrolytes” is because of how they help your body conduct electricity, which I’m suggesting applies to spiritual energy too, or at least to supporting what your brain does when you access spiritual energy. (If your muscles have ever felt sore or tired after an intense spiritual experience, that might be because your body sacrificed the magnesium and calcium from your muscles if your diet didn’t contain enough.)
- Avoid gluten and cow dairy. This one was hard for me, but the reality is that both of these have been so greatly modified (at least here in the U.S.) that they’re too hard for our bodies to process.
- Minimize alcohol intake. Sorry to ruin your fun. 🙁 The good news is, if you’ve been drinking just for fun and not to avoid your emotional baggage, after a few weeks you won’t miss it anymore. For me, now when I consider having a drink, my body shows me how it will feel, and I decide the temporary buzz or social pressure isn’t worth it.
- Breathe fresh air. This could mean installing a filtration system in your home, but going outside is far more beneficial in most cases, as I’ve been told by Spirit. (You could also do something earthing while you’re out there.)
- Along with being immersed in fresh air, you need to make sure your body can utilize the fresh air. Pranayama breathing exercises help clear out your lungs and lung meridians. You can search YouTube or ask your favorite yoga instructor about this, but the basic idea is slow, controlled breathing through alternating nostrils. (Start with no more than 5 minutes until you get used to it.)
- Keep embodying high frequency spiritual energies. It’s a lot like exercising to build muscle: You don’t want to overdo it, but if you don’t do it at all then your body has nothing to adapt to and you stay at your current setpoint. Like building a stronger muscle one workout at a time, you can acclimate yourself to higher frequencies bit by bit. In addition to my mystery school rituals and practices, I was introduced to Solfeggio frequencies by a fellow teacher and kind of stumbled into a habit of listening to them as a way of raising my physical setpoint and preparing my body to do more temple.
- Keep clearing your emotional baggage. Dr. Bradley Nelson, author of The Emotion Code, is one of many practitioners who acknowledge that emotions get trapped in the body. Dr. John Upledger, the creator of CranioSacral Therapy, also acknowledged this phenomenon. I’ve incorporated wisdom from them and many others into my own healing practice. Wherever your cells hold trapped emotions, they cannot heal and might mutate or die off. So however you do it, keep releasing those trapped emotions – especially the ones that you trapped during childhood while you were still in 3D energy. (A great starting place is my healing program, Open to Receiving, which clears blocks that got created every time you were told “No” as a kid. It also helps you become more open to healing support and spiritual guidance.)
[EDIT: I’m laughing with myself because I left out an item out of this list and it’s the one I struggle with the most:]
(*None of the above statements are intended as medical advice. Use your own judgment as far as whether to follow any of them, and especially consult with your medical professional if you are being treated for any medical conditions.)
You might be commenting to yourself that the above list seems pretty basic – which it is. The most meaningful guidance you’ll ever receive in life is only about mastering the basics. As we evolve we’re repeatedly brought back to the same basic principles, with a new perspective each time
Where to start?
Here’s the good news: Not only are you constantly revisiting these basics as you move forward, but you also don’t have to incorporate all of them at once. Pick one to start with. In addition to emotional clearing, I usually suggest increasing one’s water intake because it’s typically the easiest and most impactful change, which creates a feeling of success that inspires you to add another change.
You could ask your body by muscle-testing, using a pendulum, or simply feeling which idea it seems to respond to, to get a sense of which one it would like you to start with.
Any questions or comments on this article? Did it make you aware of ways that your body has been holding back your spiritual journey? I’d love to read your comments about it.